Home » Regimental History » History – 1859 to Present » 1993 to the Present Day

1993 to the Present Day

In 1993, when the The London Regiment was reformed, D Company joined with a company of the London Scottish, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment, and later by two companies of Royal Green Jackets. The London Regiment had been reformed on 20th April 1993 with the merger of 8th Bn Queen’s Fusiliers, the London Irish and the London Scottish following the “Options for Change” review of the Army.

Further upheaval occurred in 2000, when the LIR moved from their historic home, the Duke of York’s HQ in Chelsea, South West London to Connaught House, Flodden Road, Camberwell, South East London, where they remain to this day.

Between 1st April 1999 and 12th May 2006, the London Regiment gained two Companies of Royal Green Jackets (RGJ) on the disbandment of 4th Bn RGJ, and these Companies formed F and G Companies.

In May 2006, The London Regiment moved from the Queen’s Division to become part of the Household Division and became the TA (now Army Reserve) support battalion for the five regiments of Foot Guards, the first time the Guards have ever had an associated Reserve element, and have played a crucial role in supporting the Regular Army when they were deployed on operations.

Over the past few years, and due to the Regular Army being overstretched on overseas operations, the London Regiment has been expected to produce Service Companies to carry out overseas infantry duties, and men from the London Irish Rifles have been deployed on numerous operational engagements. D Company is extremely proud to have deployed soldiers across the world in recent years as part of this wider London Regiment role.

A link to the current activities of the London Regiment can be found here.

London Irish on Operations 1988-99.